The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Thursday, May 04, 2006


Why I like to deliver boats! Looking East toward Lake Okeechobee soon after exiting Moorehaven Lock. The Lake is just over the trees to the left. On the right are acres of sugar cane fields that dominate this area on the North edge of the everglades. This 36' Gulfstar trawler ("Lady Elaine") was delivered from Saint Petersburg to Miami in 2005. The serene waters of this canal later gave way to 8 foot seas and 25 kts. of wind on the Lake. Knowing the boat was strong, I opted to by pass safe harborage at Clewiston and brave the 27 mile crossing. In a lesser boat, I would have been scared, as the rolling was extreme--two water jugs and a set of charts slid into the lake from the floor of my steering station before I could grab them. Heading into the waves, the muddy brackish lakewater broke over the bow and crashed into the flybridge, 12 feet above the water. I was tired and wet and mighty glad to see the opening of Mayacca Lock, my escape from the turbulence, some 3 hours later.