The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Most T-shirt graphics to me are garish, insipid, or just plain dull. When I see one I really like, I'm impressed, and I buy one if I can afford it.

This one I noticed was being worn by most of the staff at the Demopolis Yacht Basin. The quote struck me as being quite profound, and worthy of some serious contemplation.

I discovered that the owner of the marina, Fred, was given the quotation as an old lithograph some twenty years ago. He showed me the original, in a frame, on the wall of his ofice. He decided to put it on T-shirts, and, as he put it," People just never stop buying them. I stopped having them printed a few times, but then I would get requests to make more." To me, this simple quote has a lot to say about life and how one deals with diversity. I also hear in it a call for humility, and a resignation to life's inevitable ordeals. But I leave it to you to find your own meaning (s).


I used the self-timer on my camera to shoot this photo of myself. I was still at the Demopolis Marina, waiting for laundry to dry (not all of boating is glamorous!) As you can see, I'm no Clark Gable swashbuckler, but I'm still makin' waves and looking at 60 years in November. I'm very fortunate to be doing at this time exactly what I want to do. I find encouragement from my Dad, though he's been gone for 7 years, and my best friend Carl, who died 2 years ago. In their own way, they are sharing this trip with me on the HUCK FINN.

I really appreciate the comments I've been getting from some "anonymous" visitors out there in cyberspace. I'm flattered that you find my little venture worthy of your attention. I hope you stay in touch. Though it's listed smewhere else on the blogsite, I'll repeat my e-mail address here: brionkerlin@yahoo.com I will attempt to answer all e-mails received. Kind Regards, Captain Brion