The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

This 36' Carver was delivered from Saint Petersburg to Peoria, IL in 18 days. She is tied here to Kidde's floating fuel dock, the only place to tie in Cape Girardeau, MO. Charlie Brown (yeah, that's really his name!) pumped my diesel and gave me permission to tie there for the night. The current on the Mississippi here was flowing about 5mph. It was a treat to walk into town and have a real cooked meal...and a wireless signal for my laptop to send e-mails. This photo was shot in the dim light before sunup, just before I untied to continue the slog upstream toward Saint Louis. Just above Saint Louis, at Alton, I was joined by broRoger and sonSeth...a real highlight of the trip. After two weeks non-stop at the helm, I was glad to let them pilot the boat for long stretches. Iplan to see Charlie Brown again in August, after I leave for St. Paul from St. Pete in the "Caboose." More on that later.