The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006


This is the way HUCK FINN's lock line is suppose to look when correctly attached to the floating bollard inside the lock. The boat must be brought slowly up to the bollard, at the bow, then the hose/loop has to be dropped over the bollard. Then the boat is pushed forward, until the securing loop is taught near the center of the boat. That way 1/2 the line leads to the bow, the other half to the stern. When they fill the locks, to raise HUCK, there's usually some turbulence that would toss the boat around if it wasn't secured. That all worked fine when I had Nial to drop the loop while I steered HUCK at the helm. The day after he left, I had my first attempt at doing this alone in Aberdeen Lock. Missing the bollard on the first try, I dropped the loop in the water (bad move) and returned to the helm to circle the boat around for another try. Alas, there was enough slack in the line that it go caught up in the prop and shut down the engine. No forward. No reverse. Just bobbing around angry and embarrassed in the middle of Aberdeen Lock! Fortunately, the HUCK is fitted with an auxilliary outboard motor on the transom, so I fired that up and was able to tie the bow to a bollard with an extra line.
Fortunately Aberdeen Marina was just a couple of miles beyon the lock, so I limped in there using the outboard and rented a dockspace for the night. I was able to dive under the boat (I was sure there were alligators and snakes all around me!) and unwrap the line, which was torn and frayed and had to be replaced. I fixed up a new lockline system and determined that I would get it right next time. Leaving Aberdeen, early the next AM, I was treated to this beautiful sunrise...one of my favorite times on the river.

That day, I transited 3 locks (Amory, Wilkins and Fulton) and nailed the loop on the bollard first try each time. Last time I wrapped up a line in the prop was ten years ago, when I brought my first boat down to St. Pete. from Chicago. That was a case of carelessness and lack of attention also.

I hope it's another ten years before I have to deal with it again. Staying tonight at Midway Marina. I was here before, last April, and got the T-shirt!. I took their courtesy car into Fulton (Mississippi) to get, of all things, a Burger King sandwich. Tomorrow, I'll finish the last of the 10 locks of the waterway, including Witten lock, which, with its 90 foot rise, makes it the 9th tallest lock in the country. It's spooky being in the bottom of that thing. I'll get a picture for you! So again I say: "All's well that ends well." So far things are ending up pretty good. Later