The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

June 13, '07, 5:45 AM. Soon after exiting Lock 52 on the Ohio, I was greeted by this powerful sunrise. An hour before, in the darkness, the lockmaster hailed me on my VHF radio: "HUCK FINN...if you want to lock through I have an opening." I was at anchor below the dam about 500 yards away. I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity--the next chance could be hours later. So, no coffee, no oatmeal, no time to scratch my but. Just get out on the foredeck and haul in the 22 lb. danforth anchor and fire up the Perkins. I was the last boat locked through before the lockmaster got to go home for a good day's sleep.


The Irvin S. Cobb highway bridge, built circa 1929, at the same time as Lock 52. Now highway route 45. This bridge is just above Lock 52, just before making Paducah, KY at mile 954 on the Ohio River. I hope I look this good when I'm nearly 80 years old!