The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

A couple of months ago, I published a blog about the two hearty adventurers, Steve and Ryan, whom I met at Alto IL. I was northbound on the HUCK FINN, and they were headed downriver on a very ambitious, and arduous journey from the Mississippi headwaters i northern Minnesota to New Orleans. Their photo, following this shot of a tug just 50 miles south of where they were to pass, was shot as they were ready to shove off from Alton. I was regretful, after they left, that I had not gotten an e-mail or phone # from them to see how they fared.

Just today, I got a welcome e-mail from Steve, who is now back in Michigan, his home base. He and Ryan managed the entire trip to New Orleans, never swamping the canoe and with no injuries. Just to complete that trip is an awesome accomplishment; in so doing they join an elite and small fraternity of adventurers.


I can easily imagine the perils they faced: strong winds (rendering a canoe almost unmanageable) increasing river currents as they progressed down the lower Mississippi, and the ever present dangers of oncoming or overtaking towboats, sometimes pushing upewards of 40 barges. I don't imagine their shoreline campsite were always very accommodating. But when it's dark, you have to stop, whatever greets you on the banks of the river.



Adding to the marvel of their success is that they each brought minimal prior experience. So most of their important lessons were learned the hard way, by trial and error...learning from mistakes. I suspect their lives will be forever transformed by this adventure, and definitely for the better.
So my hat is off to Steve and Ryan, brave, a bit reckless, but ultimately demonstrating great skill and unstoppable determination. I have friends who have sailed across the Atlantic, but I believe some of those trips to have been more comfortable, and less challenging--and with less risk--than taken on by these rare canoeists. This 19 ft. Grumman canoe was their on-the-water home for more than 2,000 miles. I don't doubt they had some long quiet moments of reflecting on the sanity of their decision to go.

This quote is at the end of Robert St. Bridge in St. Paul Minnesota, which Steve and Ryan no doubt passed under early in their trip. The wouldn't have seen it, but I offer it here as a tribute to their success, and a reminder to all that dreams can materialize. Thanks, guys, for showing the rest of us what can be done!