The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Thursday, September 21, 2006



Here is the HUCK and Captain Brion at ease on the transient dock at Dubuque Marina, just below Lock and Dam 11 (m. 583 above Cairo).

I have completed about 1760 miles since St. Pete, and have 257.7 miles to go to the St. Paul Yacht Club, final destination!!

I'm quite certain I'm the only person on the rivers making this trip. There are a handful of pleasure boaters taking there yachts or trawlers South, toward warmer climes. As they frequently point out to me on the radio: I'M GOING THE WRONG WAY! Ducks and Geese and Cormorants are all headed South down the river. Even the Monarch butterflies are laughing at me as they float leisurely by on their way to Mexico or South America.

The first night in Dubuque the temp. sunk to 46 degrees. I was shivering under two sleeping bags. They're busy hauling out boats here in the marina, before the winter freeze.

Scariest thing of all: I saw a few leaves today tumbling down in the light cool breeze. I haven't seen a leaf fall for the past ten years in Florida. So now it's on in to "the belly of the beast"...Minnesota in the Fall.

I'm trying to got into, or on to, the Oct. 14 Prairie Home Companion show in St. Paul. I'm trying to get through to Garrison Keillor and/or his staff. ANYBODY WHO TRAVELS THE WRONG WAY UP THE RIVERS FOR 2000 MILES AT 4 MPH SHOULD AT LEAST BE ABLE TO BUY A TICKET! Technically, the show is sold out, though scalpers have them on the internet for $120!

So any of you who are willing to help me get on the show, perhaps as a 30 second walk-on celebrity, or at least a "mentionable" during the show, here's what you can do:

Go to the Prairie Home Companion website. They have 2 or 3 options there for contacting them. I've sent a note to "Post the Host" which could get to Garrison Keillor directly, if it gets by the screeners. There's also a place for Messages--questions, comments,suggestions for the show.

Just tell them how great it would be to hear about your weird friend on the radio, and how he'll be in St. Paul, on the HUCK FINN from Oct. 1 to Oct. 15, JUST IN TIME FOR THE OCT. 14 SHOW!!!

My bro. Roger arrived in Dubuque yesterday from Washington. He'll cruise with me for a few days until somewhere in the LaCrosse area. I'll also be meeting my Wisconsin pals soon, Doug and Lyn, if they can meet me by car on the weekend.


Thanks so much to all of you who are following the trip, and I really enjoy the many comments and e-mails I get. Makes it a little less lonely out here on the big river! Kind regards. Captain Brion