The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Friday, September 08, 2006

My last entries from Alton Marina (mile 202 Miss. R.) before I resume journey to St. Paul Sunday morning. Pictured here are Steve and Ryan, two very brave and venturesom souls from Michigan, who are canoeing the entire Mississippi from the headwaters in Itasca, MN to New Orleans. That is a daunting trip, somewhat perilous, but by now they have accumulated considerable skill and wisdom about the river. Unfortunately (as they know) the most difficult stretch is yet to come, as they face the untamed, unlocked waters of the lower Mississippi below St. Louis. They are in an 18 foot Grumman aluminum canoe, with a plastic tarp for a sail, a cooler, camping gear, and a few charts. Recent college grads who found there first jobs unfulfilling and decided to do something "meaningful." My hat is off to them. We talked for quite a while and I imparted what little knowledge I have about the lower Mississippi. I don't know much about it, other than what I've read, but I have deliberately avoided it as too barren and too treacherous. Large tows, ever increasing current, and few places to stop for help or for supplies. I think they'll be O.K. but I'm a little worried for them. Best wishes Steve and Ryan!

Saving the best for last! The high point of my trip, the entire 1250 miles, was a surprise visit today from my daughter Emily, and grandchildren Fia and Kelby. By coincidence, they needed to be in St. Louis for a medical procedure for my son-in-law Neils. He came out of it O.K. and they're headed back home tomorrow. Unfortunately, he has more medical followup and assessment to be done, but he feels well and is eager to get back to work.

I will take tomorrow to clean and organize the HUCK, double check all the equipment, study charts and head for the high country. I have only(!) about 670 miles to go and 20 days to get there by the end of the month. That's just a little more than 30 miles per day average, which shouldn't be difficult now that I'm in the "pools" between the locks from here to St. Paul.

No complaints so far. Life is good. I've met a lot of good people. I have a lot of wonderful friends. If only my sweetie Jo were with me! Alas, St. Paul looms on the near horizon!