The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Monday, August 28, 2006

When Kentucky dam was built, and other dams on the Tennessee River were added, thousands of acres of land were flooded to create what are now Kentucky Lake and Barkley Lake.

Not all the structures were removed from the lowlands before the lakes were filled. Here is an old commercial structure, perhaps a grain elevator or a warehouse, that used to sit on high ground, next to the river.
Just when you thought you'd seen enough sunrises! I couldn't resist this one at Pebble Island Marina, just this morning (Aug. 28, '06) before I untied the HUCK. See what you're missing by sleeping past 6:30 AM?

WARNING: more sunrises and sunsets to come. And I hope to get at least one rainbow before I get to St. Paul.
So you don't believe in mermaids? Here's proof they do exist, at least on the Tennessee River. She's somewhat anatomically awkward...but maybe that's the way mermaids really do look.

Tonight I'm safely tied (not in a creek) in the Kenlake Marina, just 42 miles south of Paducah. Tomorrow, I travel 20 miles to the Kentucky Lock and Dam and get locked through hopefully without much delay. It's a bottleneck for barge traffic, being near the confluence of the Tennessee and Ohio Rivers. So sometimes pleasure boaters have to wait for a series of tugs and tows to go through first. Once through, it's a mere 22 mile dash to Paducah, where I plan to meet my friend Dannel from Champaign. I'm a little concerned about the Mississippi River current--I heard there's been some recent heavy rain in the midwest. We could be stuck in Paducah for a while if the Ole Miss is running too fast.

Thanks to all of you who are sending me e-mails. It keeps me going. Regards. Captain Brion