The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

This fog bank rolled up on HUCK on the morning of the 12 th and soon reduced visibility to zero. I steered HUCK carefully out of the channel and dropped the anchor to wait it out. Tugboats, with radar will run in the fog, so the channel is the last place you want to be when you can't see what's coming at you. Soon after the fog lifted, I approached lock 16 near Muscatine, to be told: "We're shut down for the whole day. Maintenance on the mitre gates." I was very happily surprised when the lockmaster came back on the radio only two hours later to announce that the work was completed and I could lock through.

Earlier that same morning, right after hauling the anchor on the South end of Jonas Johnson Island, I was treated to yet another spectacular sunrise. The mist you can see being lifted by the sun's heat is what later formed the fog bank above. In fact, that's the island, just to the left of the fog bank, where I was anchored for the night. Little did I know I would be putting that anchor down again less than 1/2 hour after I raised it!