The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I left Hannibal, MO at 6:40 AM, barely enough light to see, and discovered later that I had left my telescoping boat hook there on the dock. I expected to lose at least one on the way to St. Paul; fortunately I have two remaing on HUCK. I transited Locks 21 and 20 that day, and was interviewed inside the latter (while the boat was rising in the chamber) by a reporter from the Canton, IA newspaper. He took several pictures and got the skinny on my trip and assured me a story would follow. Ah, FAME!
This first night shot is of the main highway bridge at Burlington, IA, where I tied for the night nearby at "Big Muddy's" restaurant. The grilled catfish there hit the spot, and the dockage was free. No anchor to hassle with. A group of nine interesting ladies in a sport boat pulled alongside the HUCK and tried to flirt with me, but when I told them I was getting married in St. Paul they disappeared pretty quick. They might not tell it that way, but my account is at least plausible, sort of...maybe.

Bet you never heard of Oquawka, IL, but I did go by there after leaving Burlington the next AM.

This photo is a flashback to Cape Girardeau...I'm adding it as a partner to the above night shot. The view is from the river side of the decorated levee wall protecting Cape Girardeau. The light on the benches and the rocks is from the setting sun behind the wall. (You're looking to the East across the river.) The contrast and the vivid glow of the light was almost magical. The city has installed dozens of these little scenic overlooks with benches all along their levee, and it is well attended by the locals. Visit Cape Girardeau if you get a chance!