The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

My brother Roger Joined me in Dubuque and hopped off here in LaCrosse. It was only for 3 days but was a very welcome and enjoyable visit. He brought fresh peaches from WA state and baked a peach pie on board. He also was a welcome relief at the helm, especially after the autopilot took a dive the day after he arrived (broken belt and no replacement). During his part of the cruise we had several bald eagle sightings and cranked the stereo with Delbert McClinton, Bob Seeger, Paul Simon and Pavorrati.

We tied for a night at a rickety dock in Clayton (population 55) that had my favorite restaurant of the entire trip. It's near some silica mines dug into the river bluffs, that, according to our waitress, penetrate 24 miles into the interior. We saw the caves from the water, and barges being loaded as we passed. Also in LaCrosse, I was greeted by two lifelong friends, Doug and Lyn, from the Madison, WI area. Doug is a middle school teacher and professional juggler/entertainer. Lyn is in the midst of a lifelong personal growth project which consists right now of learning to play bagpipes. Perhaps that will culminate her quest! I devoured their company after weeks of solitude. When they took me and Roger to the "Huck Finn's" restaurant, I was overwhelmed to find a restaurant named after my boat. I left there with Huck Finn napkins, pens, matchboxes, a hat and hooded sweatshirt--all neatly monogrammed with the name of my boat! Nirvanah!


Here's proof that I wasn't just making all that up. I'll definitely be stopping by there again on the way south, this time insisting on two free dinners (one for my new wife, JO) because of all the free publicity I've given them.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work? By the way, they also have a marina behind the restaurant, so guess where we'll be staying that night!