The HUCK FINN--Adventures of a canal boat on North America's waterways

Photos, captain's notes, and crew's tales from the 26' canal boat HUCK FINN. Itinerary: roundtrip St. Pete. FL/St. Paul MN.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My first night after leaving Alton, I holed up in the Little River Diversion Canal a few miles below Cape Girardeau MO. Just a 1/2 mile or so into the canal is a railroad trestle. I tied to the pilings supporting this trestle, which is more convenient than dropping and retrieving an anchor. And easier on the back.

Soon after sunrise about 5:40 AM, I enjoyed the splay of light on the aging but still strong bridge buttresses.


Just getting under way from the R. R. bridge, this is the view toward the Mississippi from the canal. According to my cruising guide, this canal was designed by the same man who planned the Panama Canal. I wasn't thinking about history at this point. Rather, I was bracing myself for the daunting 5mph current soon to grab the HUCK FINN as soon as I escaped the haven of the slackwater in the canal. That's HUCK's anchor resting on the bow, seen from the helm station.